Monday, February 16, 2009

interview

I. Christodoulou a journalist for Phileleufteros , a local newspaper in Cyprus, has emailed me a few questions regarding my silence. I thought it would be a good idea to translate her questions and my "answers".

-Would you attempt a similar experiment in Cyprus, where people are different?

Probably no. I dont want to stereotupe, but most Cypriots are less understanding and receptive in this sort of art. We (Cypriots) are suspicious to these kind of "things", nevertheless we love bragging about our Greek heritage and how our ancestors were the first to invent and express art and cultivate art-friendly civilizations. I am sure that my art is being already been doubted. There are some people even in the States, that doubt me/it, and try to underestimate my effort and my work.
Some times the different or the unknow is stigmatized for its lack of reasonable explanation. I cant even imagine the reaction when I show my " Sorry I cant respond, i have taken a vow of silence" card at the local deli in Cyprus...The comments would be too explicit to describe. Giving this a second thought, if i was ever given the chance, I would probably try to do this back home too.

-You said that silence goes hand in hand with patience. Did you ever lose it?

Since the two go together, that means that my patience/tolerance has reached the level of my silence, which is 16 days strong. A positive thing about living in a big city like NY, I can have as much privacy as I want to "protect" myself from possible negative situations. The option to keep a safe distance should be available in every "free" society.

-Have you ever thought of anything that could make you lose focus from this? An upsetting image, a comment, news?

yes.sad news from back home. only

-Its been already more than 2 weeks. Did you catch yourself counting backwards the time until March 1st?

No. I am actually missing it already.

-Would you try something more "hardcore" after this? Lock yourself in detention for example...

I like extremities but unfortunately an artist by the name Tehching Hsieh has done something amazing decades ago. If i have any future inspiration or aspiration I wouldnt hesitate.

-Are you planning any future projects or are you focused solemnly to the silence?

my next project is a conceptual art exhibition that I am having on July 20th.It is called "den 3exnw 1974" (Never forget 1974) and I am currently working on the preparation and concept of some of the exhibits. Part of this "stillness" is to simplify the mind invent clean and solid ideas.

-What gives you "strengh" at this point? Achieving your goal? The necessity for silence?

Rightly said! The necessity for silence.It is becoming an essential part of my personal evolution.

-Would you recommend that to others?

I would recommend this to everyone. Those that have the luxury to try it should definetely give it a shot. Even those that cant, due to several responsibilities, they could modify silence to fit their lifestyle. One can try to remain silent when tempted or provoked to make a negative comment, curse out, lie, or even when tempted to make an evil thought. There are numerous sorts of silence.

-is silence gold indeed?
my answer is silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment