Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Day 4. Since long I've held silence a remedy for harm- Aeschylus

i started and finished a collage yesterday. i am into collages lately, i guess i am 20 years late. I was preoccupied with other things when i was 7, don't know what exactly, but it wasn't collaging. It took me 3 hours to finish it and it was probably the most pleasant way to empty my mind. I was thinking about the observation i made the other day on how the dialogue still goes on in my head even tho i don't verbally express it. My addition to that is that, yes it goes on in my head, yet it's shorter and it ends when my mind checks itself and decides to stop consuming mental energy on this subject of countless possibilities. Its like entering a world of infinite realities, and i will admit, this is a game which i often entertain my mind with, but trying to remain voluntarily silent takes lots of my energy.
I am not (neither everyone else i think) used of being in absolute control of my spontaneous reactions, such as greeting, laughing, warning others for possible danger, etc. The only thing i don't ( and also don't want to) hold back is laughter. It is probably the only solid communication that i share, and by solid i mean difficult to misinterpret.   

One of my favorite things to do is to dissect the etymology of words, and coming from a Greek background, i always have something in my mind to dissect. So last night, i thought of the word:
ANUKOUSTO means UNHEARD OF.
The dictionary described it as : a) not perceived by the ear
        b) not given a hearing
c) and the archaic version, previously unknown.

So far so good. Now lets examine the use of it in daily situations. "That has been unheard of.." shows an element of surprise, a reaction for something unexpected, positively or negatively shocking....which takes me to my point/question: Does speech make a verbal agreement, official? ( if yes, why do we "seal" deals with handshakes? Wouldn't be more appropriate if we lock lips instead?) If something is said, does it automatically become valid? What if it remains as a thought...then what?
The only thing i remember from my undergraduate studies in Communications, is that "communication  is irreversible", hence when two people argue they fuse their anger by recalling in their memories, hurtful things (or things that bothered them) that once said in the past by the other person. Even if we apologize for something we said, it still registers and even if we try to burry it, under certain circumstances it will come out. So, is it safer not to say things? Probably. Is it freedom? I don't know. But what is freedom anyway? Constantly proving our freedom shows the lack of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment