Thursday, February 5, 2009

Day 5. Silence is a source of great strength- Lao Tzu

some people assume the worse when i show them my "Hello", "I am sorry i can't respond" "A slice of cheese, please" cards. I get these sympathetic looks, the kind of " i am sorry that you cant talk young man, it must suck". At least they don't get pissed off. I was even offered water while i was waiting for the slice of cheese...
I think it wouldn't be "fair" if i secluded myself so i am trying to get out of my room everyday even for a couple of hours. I had lunch at this diner in Green Point and surprise surprise the owners were Greek. For those who know me, a) i am a chatterbox and b) i MUST say something if i see a Greek speaking person. Its a cultural thing and hard to get rid of. So, i am sitting there eating my feta omelet and i hear this intense dialogue in Greek from the table next to me and i am tempted to say something, before they say anything about me in Greek assuming i wont understand, but i held it in. I was thinking that if i talked in Greek, i wouldn't be breaking my vow of silence. Why is that? Is it more than one kind of silence? Why did i feel i could afford to make this exception?

I asked my friend who was with me for the first time since my VOS, how did she feel about it adn she said she noticed that she was speaking in statements. She realized that because she put an effort in not asking questions (not necessarily about my VOS, just usual chit-chat questions )
She also said she was wondering on how people understand her monologues. Do they find her crazy for talking to someone that doesn't verbally respond? Are they wishing that their mother-in laws, or significant others were like that? (if not forever maybe a week of two :)

No comments:

Post a Comment