Monday, February 16, 2009

Day 16. Many attempts to communicate are nullified by saying too much-R.Greeleaf

I have noticed that my silent behavior is wearing off on other people also. Besides having a friend admitting to me that he has caught himself nodding his head instead of speaking, I have noticed that , especially on one on one occasions, the person that is with me remains silent too. I am hoping that they are enjoying those few shared moments of silence as much as I do.

Recent reactions:
My professor's 8 year old daughter took my notepad and wrote down "You are crazy" . My friend's 10 year old son, (whom was looking forward to my visit) was visibly disappointed and sort of sad because of my behavior. I asked him to read this blog before we met, hoping that he would understand ( if not at all, at least a bit). I felt bad after he left because our meeting didnt meet his expectations. I was thinking how different things would had been if 17 years ago, someone suggested I take a break from speaking for at least a day. How would I be today, if i learned and value silence decades ago. Would it be traumatic, confusing or beneficial. Timing is everything, and this is a question that its answer I will never know, yet it is still intriguing to ponder about.

I am trying to listen to less music. I dont want to be distracted and fill in my silent time with anything else but silence. When I choose to listen to something, my taste has changed. I prefer instrumental music. I feel like words tire me. Did i mention that I am more sensitive to noise? In the beginning I assumed that maybe i was making it up in my head but I after 16 days I dont have a doubt anymore.

Joking or not:
some people told me they prefer me this way ;)

1 comment:

  1. hehehe it's funny I was just with Christos and he was telling me about the whole vow that you're undertaking and he said that many greeks preferred you like that.

    Interesting... looking forward for the upcoming days.

    ReplyDelete